LAST LONG RIDE

IMG_3606
154 KMS | 5 h 06 | 30.2 avg kmh | 150 avg hr | 2.853 kcal

Today was the last long bike ride before going to France for the L’Etape du Tour. It was the Jan Janssen Classic, an sportive of 150 kms around the Arnhem area. What I like about this one, which I’ve missed in the last 4 years, is the route. They make sure we explore all climbs in the region, twisting over small roads to get small and bigger climbs. It was a good result and an excellent training for the race in July. Hoje foi a última volta longa antes de embarcar para a França para o L’Etape. Foi a volta Jan Janssen Classic, com 159 kms ao redor da região de Arnhem. O que eu gosto dessa volta, que não pude participar nos últimos 4 anos, é a rota. A organização explora a região e passa por quase todas as ladeiras, fazendo o percurso bastante difícil. O resultado foi bom e melhor ainda um excelente treino para a corrida em Julho.
 

image
Great route from the organization of Jan Janssen Classic.

I met Mark at the start and after arranging my registration we started riding at a easy pace to warm-up. Today would be only the two of us and I was a bit nervous because Mark is very strong and to keep up with him would be hard work. After just 10 minutes, he started pushing around 33 to 35 kmh and around 28 kmh on the climbs. At that point I wasn’t feeling well or wasn’t warm yet and my heart rate was jumping to 178 bpm too quick and I had no power in the legs.

At around 15 km into the ride Mark had problems with his gears and told me to keep going and he would catch up. I easy up a bit and decided to do all climbs in high cadence, above 90 bpm. That helped me to get a flow. At the 30 km there was the first feed station and I stopped quickly to see if Mark was close. He was less then 2 minutes behind and we started moving again very quick.

From that point on, the ride was completely different. I was able to push a good speed in the climbs and flat pieces and Mark didn’t have to wait too much. I was very happy with the speed we were doing, keeping it around 35 on the flats and even 37 in some places. Pushing around 45 in the descents. And that was a different way of riding. Most of the time we just free wheel down the descends. Mark charges the descends down and I liked that. The feeling of constant racing is very nice, even if you are not pushing to hard. All the way to the finish line we pushed and jump from group to group.

In all, the day that started without confidence finished with a good performance. In part due to trying to keep pace with someone stronger than me. A great way to get better. Now, I only have two interval session and a mid range ride before going to France. Almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment