FIRST OF 2015

image
52 kms |  1 h 58 m | average speed 27 km/h

First Sunday of the year and first ride on the pocket. 50 kms to get rid of the jetlag of the travel back from Brazil and get used again to the cold. It was 3 degrees, the sun was shining and no wind. Great way to start if it wasn’t for…   Primeiro domingo do ano e primeiro treino na bicicleta. 50 kms para se livrar do jetlag da volta do Brazil e também para se acostumar ao frio de novo. A temperatura estava nos 3 graus, o sol brilhando e sem vento. Perfeito se não fosse por…

image

…the first and hopefully only fall of the year. The sun was shinning and the temperature was OK…ish as I was properly dressed. But I forgot that the ground was frozen still from the subzero night. In the first corner, the back wheel slip but I controlled it and even before I could finish my thought: “oh! the ground is fro…” I  was on the ground.

Silly fall that left a scratched arm and tender right thigh. After standing up and checking the bike I went to my finish a great 50 kms ride. Being a bit more careful on the turns.  From home I went straight to Vinkeveen and back the Vecht river.  A nice route and with quite some cyclists on the roads. A surprise as it was quite cold. The training from now until March will be Sundays rides only and gym work during the week.

IN BRAZIL – During the vacation in Brazil I had a chance to do two bike rides in João Pessoa, PB. Although it was summer, the temperatures were not too high staying around 28 degrees celsius. Thanks to a cousin from my wife that showed me the ways there and arranged two bikes. Great treatment!

image
View of João Pessoa from Ponta do Seixas, closest Brazilian place to Africa/Europe.

The first was a 55 kms ride on the area close to the new convention center. A place where the left lane is reserved for cyclists every day from 8 to 10 am. The bike was a Cannondale Supersix Evo with SRAM red and Mavic Cosmic SLR. Great bike. Smooth on the flat, eager on the climb and incredible when sprinting.

image

The second ride was a 80kms ride from João Pessoa to the beach of  Tambaba. This was with a Trek Madone kitted with Ultegra and regular shimano wheels. The ride was fantastic. One hill after the other with gradients around 8% to 10%. And the surprise for me was how light and responsive the bike was. Nothing special on it and still responsive and light on the climbs. Just go to show that there are no bad bikes anymore…

No comments:

Post a Comment