BEING DROPPED

Last weekend I didn’t do any long ride training. It was Mothers day and I dedicated the weekend to the family. Just to avoid not posting anything I’ve added a video of the Classico Boretti with the climb of Italiaanseweg. Peter thought I was showing off and it was quick to remind me that he dropped me on the Grebberbeg.  Check how this could happen after the link and the training analysis so far…

Well, I was properly screwed at that point of the ride. I started the Grebberbeg very slow and standing on the pedals. You can see way down at the bottom (yellow arms remember)  that I’m swaying quite a lot, a good sign of  no energy left and using gravity to push the pedals. Peter, by the other hand, was really going for it. He is right in front of me with his head bobbing up and down. A good sign of putting a real effort. Half way true I decided to push harder and try to come back. I only managed at the right last meters and mostly because the group ahead of Peter slowed him down.

Sometimes is good being dropped. Sometimes it is good to be reminded… fair game. :-)

So, here it is Peter, you truly kicked my ass.

YEAR SO FAR | Looking back at the training this week I remembered that I also didn’t do any training on Mother’s last year. Great opportunity to check how it is going and compare with last year. In previous years I’ve being comparing average heart rate and average speeds. But since I’ve started tracking my training using trimp points last year, I can now compare year vs year.

The trimp points is used to calculate one’s level of fitness and fatigue accumulated (stress balance). It is a good way to track progress of how much strength  and endurance one has and how much tired one really is. Also indicate when to rest. If fatigue levels go below –30 you need to rest one day at least. Anytime it is above that mark you can train as hard you feel.

Comparing the year, I can see that my level of fitness last year (blue top line) was higher at the beginning of the year all the way thru April. I believe I was doing longer rides and more interval trainings during the week.  March was a much higher training effort than this year and that explain that I’m feeling less strong and I’m actually heavier. The good sign is that despite of that the training is going in the right direction. I believe the training this year is better distributed and I’ve been able to push well in the last trainings. The result is that the red line (this year fitness) just passed the blue line. The fatigue levels is a bit under than last year but this is the result of a good week of interval and commuting riding.

With a little less than 2 weeks to travel to France for the Tour du ALS, this is a good sign. The training must keep on going on the same way and I will be ready on the 28th!

image

 

image

The trimp points sum shows the total accumulate points one collects during the week training. Comparing both years is clear to see I was doing much more training in February/March. But now in April and may, 2015 has been stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment