CRAMPS AGAIN

IMG_3315
163 kms | 5 h 52 m | avg speed  27.9 km/h | 146 avg hr | 2.777 kcal

For the first time I rode yesterday the Ronde van Nijmegen, a 160 kilometers sportive that starts in Holland but runs mostly in Germany. Usually it happens on the same day of Mother’s Day but this year it moved one week out due to the Giro d’Italia starting in Holland. It was a hard race with mostly false flats, two big climbs of 11% gradient and the last 50 kms against a strong head wind.

More details after the link.
Eu fiz ontem pela primeira vez a Ronde van Nijmegen. São 160 quilômetros começando na Holanda mas passando a maioria do tempo na Alemanha. Essa corrida acontece normalmente no Dia das Mães, mas por causa do Giro, ele atrasou uma semana eu eu pude participar. Foi uma corrida dura, cheia de subidas falsas, duas ladeiras pesadas com 11% de inclinação e os últimos 50 kms contra um vento muito forte.

Dá uma olhada nos detalhes depois do link.

I knew the race was going to be hard as the wind was blowing strong and different from the last days the weather forecast was for rain and  potential hail. We started with a controlled speed of 30 km/h and right after the start we faced the two biggest climbs of the day each one with a gradient max of 11% and going for around 800 to 1 kms. I pushed as hard as I could and was happy how I felt. Legs were strong and heart rate controlled around 174 bpm. Great start.

I was riding with Sander and he, on the other hand, wasn’t feeling good. Especially on the climbs. So we decided to going together. I was pushing hard on the climbs and then soft pedaling until he catch up to me. Works great because it is like doing interval training and I have time to recover between climbs. At some point we had a tailwind and Sander mentioned how hard would be the way back. We couldn’t imagine what an understatement that was…

At around 70 kms, Sander decided that instead of riding the original plan of 160 kms, he would shorten it to the 120 kms version. I stayed on the 160 kms as I need to train for longer rides and for the 180 kms Limburgse Mooiste sportive of next Saturday.

Right after we separated, I managed to hook up to a group of 4 guys that were going more or less my speed, pushing speeds of 35 km/h to 38 km/h. They were good in jumping from group to group and each one was pushing well in front. Great riding. We rode in this way up to the feed stop around 95 kms into the race. At the feed station I ate quickly and started riding alone. One of the guys started as well but the others wanted to take it easier and he stayed behind. That was also when the strong headwind started.

In the next 20 kms I rode completely alone and against the headwind. I kept on pushing 28 to 30 kms/h and expected to be joined by riders so we could form another echelon, but nobody showed up. I went and went until around 117 kms into the race when the cramps started. I was really pissed. This year I’m plagued with cramps again and I have no explanations. The training is very similar from last year.

At around 130 kms the second feed station appeared and I was very happy to see it. I decided to take a long break, drink and eat and try to get rid of the cramps. I drank close to a litter of water and energy drink and forced myself to eat. I was really tired like I’ve missed eating during the ride, which I know it wasn’t the case. Really strange.

After that I started riding again. This time slow and testing how the legs were responding. My heart rate was around 135 bpm what is a very low for riding against the wind… For the last 20 kms I just pushed slow and easy and was taken over by several groups. At some point I started feeling better and managed to join a passing group. From there it was like riding normal to the end, in the historical center of Nijmege.

It was a hard ride. Good part of it with the feeling of active racing and pushing hard. For 20 kms I felt really bad but bought my time to recover and started riding again. Strange to have lost all my energy and to have cramps again. But still happy to finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment