EMPELLA PROJECT: DAY ZERO


I've started yesterday my new project related to cycling: restoration of my old steel Empella bike. It is my first road bike in Holland but has been a bit neglected since I got the shining alu and carbon. It got some a lot of rust and has been even "stolen" e found back. So, it think it deserves a second chance and I will give some hours during the week evening to it.



Because I came to cycling due to my love of the bike design, I can't get rid of the bikes I have. I've love the old bikes, the recent and the brand new ones. It doesn't matter. So I was a bit sorry to see the bike I've done my first couple of hundres kilometers in Holland go to waste (I think I've done close to thousand kilometers on it). So, I'm going to de-assemble it, clean, paint it back and assemble back with as many original parts as possible.


ALTHOUGH IT LOOKS VERY BAD I THINK THE RUST IS ONLY SUPERFICIAL.

Yesterday evenining was day zero of the project. It took me around an hour and a half to take most of it apart. The Empella bike was made in Holland, in the Brabant province by Ad van Empel (Hence the name, probably to sound more italian) and it is still known by the cyclocross bonfire bike. Mine one is a race, with all components from Campagnolo, apart from the handlebars that are Cinelli and Mavic Wheels. All looking very 80's like. The only piece that I couldn't remove was the bottom bracket because I don't have the proper tool. So, to the shop tonight to buy it.


The first assessment is not so bad. Apart from the rust in the frame, that looks very superficial, the rest is in very good condition. Brakes, derailleur, front rings and wheels look fine. The break handles and all cables will need to be replaced but that was expected. Any part that has rubber is gone. Also the cassette and chain will be replaced but I will try to keep the classic San Marco sadle.


Next step: remove the bottom bracket (fingers crossed as there is some play going on there) and start removing the original paint...

No comments:

Post a Comment