ETAPE DU TOUR - THE RACE (ENGLISH)

PICTURE TAKEN JUST BEFORE THE START OF THE RACE.

This was my 4th Etape du Tour and it was my best result by far. I did a very good race for my standards and finished in precisely 6:15 minutes. I climbed the Gallibier in 1h45m and Alpe D'Huez in 1h35m hour.  Of course it involved a lot of  suffering but this time I enjoyed the whole race and nothing actually extraordinary happened, as it is suppose to be in a good race.



PREPARATIONS - The race day actually started in the previous afternoon with the preparations: fix race number on the bike, clean and lubricate chain and cassette and check the proper tire pressure and overall mechanics. It's a nice moment as everybody is working in their bikes and starting to get a bit tense for what is to come. There is also a sense of commaderie as everyone is open to answer questions, help each other and be ready as a team.

HELPING A COLEAGUE TO CLEAN THE BIKE AND THE MOMENT WHEN WE LOAD THEM AGAIN.

The preparations continue after a team dinner right at the corner where the Telegraph starts. Back to the hotel everybody is getting the kit ready: fix the race number on the back of the jersey, put all the food in the jersey back pockets (gels, energy bars, magnesium and candys) and get the bottles ready with energy drinks.Also get the rest organized: helmet, sunglasses, shorts, socks, shoes, etc. Everything to make sure you don't loose time in the day, because it is going to a very early start

THE DAY - The morning of the race actually start in the middle of the night. At 4:00 the alarm went off and we all get ready for a quick breakfast (I was sharing the bedroom with another 3 guys and this was very good because it kept things funny and light) as the bus was scheduled to leave at 5:15. We needed to be in Modane around 6:00 to unload the bikes from the bus and get to the gates, avoiding getting there too late and finding them already full. This time I've started with Martin and Richard. One faster than me and the other around the same fitness level. I've race half of the day with Richard, until we lost contact to each other at the top of Gallibier.
RICHARD AND I JUST BEFORE THE RACE STARTED. GOOD COMPANION ON THE CLIMBS.

The start happened at 7:00 but our gate was only free to start at 7:20. And from there it was a dash to the bottom of Telegraph. We went down at around 55 to 60 km/h. A big guy in red outfit was pulling the whole group up to the start of the mountain. From there it was everybody at their own speed. I started very slowly as I wanted to save energy for the Gallibier climb. The hardest of the day. The Telegraph climb was 9 kms and Richard and I did it very easy. I didn't let my heart go above 165 bpm for more then a couple of seconds. The road is OK and smooth but has nothing especial to show. Basically is a road surrounded by trees. But the reward came around 8:30 when we reached the top, with a espetacular view of the valley and mountains of the region. From there it was a very quick and cold descent to the bottom of Gallibier.

GALLIBIER - The beginning of Gallibier is actually very easy. Between 3 to 4% gradient and this let you take a look into what is around you before the real toughness of the climb convert your mind into a suffering machine. At that point I saw a couple of interesting things: a guy with only one leg, a guy with a picture of his wife/girlfriend, another one riding a vintage old steel Colnago bike. The bike was pristine and the only thing that looked like not original was the shiffters and group. Fantastic and beautifull bike!

From there on it was the hard job of the day. Gallibier is daunting not only for the gradient of the climb, but mostly for the psicological impact it has on the rider. You do a turn and the gradient jump to 10%. It hurts and you look up to see how far the pain is going to be. And you have 2 or 3 kms of that. Is psicologically exhausting. It feels like it is never going to end. But we kept going, controling the heart rate, drinking and eating and keeping your mind straight. And it is at this point that other aspect of Gallibier helps you. It is the most beautifull climb I've ever done. It is surrounded by snowy mountains, huge grass fields and the excellent weather helped a lot. It is so beautifull, the air so clear and brilliant that your mind has some way of disconnecting for a couple of minutes. This was the most enjoyable (if the word is ever correct in climbing) that I've done until today.


START OF THE TELEGRAPH. BOTTLE NECK THAT WE WERE AFRAID DIDN'T HAPPEN.

One kilometer to the top a van from the organization was waiting for us with food, water and an extra bag we have prepared the night before. I've exchange my bottles, ate a gel, drank half litter of water in one go and off we went. The last kilometer, just after the entrance of the tunnel, is the hardest. But as a result of our strategic stop we did it really fast. On the very top Richard went straight on and I stopped a second to close my jersey. That was enough to put a distance between the two of us for the rest of the day. Also the police stopped the riders for around 5 minutes for an ambulance. Off course I was pissed... The descent is the longest I've ever done and also the most beautifull. It start very technical but later it turns into long strechts almost straight, long turns and I felt pretty safe until we reach the tunnels. The were really scary. Totally dark, wet from the rain of the night before and dangerous. In two occasions I thought I was going to crash. But everything went well and I arrive at the bottom of Alpe D'Huez at 12:00.

PAINTING ON THE CLIMB OF ALPE D'HUEZ DONE BY TWO COLEAGUES FROM NIKE.

ALPE D'HUEZ - The climb of the so called "dutch mountain" was what you would expect. Hard, hot and unforgiven. Everybody look at the profile and think that the real hard part is the first 3 kilometers. But from climbing it last year I knew otherwise. Having done it before helped me a lot to be prepared for what was coming. After the initial 3 kilometers, there are patchs of 7 % inclination combined with others of 11 and even 13%. The average gradient on the profile shows much less because of the amount of 180 deegrees turns (hairpins) that bring the gradient to 0% for 50 meters. But those hairpins also bring a log of relaxation seconds during the climb. I stopped only once in a water station to refill my bottles. I filled the 1 liter bottle twice and trowed at my head to cool down. Literally a shower. It was so hot that I was watering my neck and legs all the time. Once I had the impulse to look how hot it was in the bike computer but decided not. Better not to know. Later I could see it was max of 39 degrees celcius. And the later guys got even 42 degrees. At some point I looked up and recognize that I would have only 2 patchs of 500 meters to get to the easier part. I decided then to push a bit more and reached the start of the "easier" last 2,5 kms (easier means 4%). And to my surprise my legs were fine and I was pushing 30 kms/h. So, I finish the last kilometer fast and the last 500 meters on a sprint. Best finish ever. Very happy.

Altough I don't have any pictures from the race day itself (camera is to heavy for racing) apart from the ones taken from my Blackberry in the beginning and end, you can click HERE to see a selection of photos from all the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment