ROAD TO RECOVERY

PICTURES OF LAST YEAR ETAPE FOR SELF MOTIVATION PURPOSE ONLY

After four days in the hospital and weeks on Valium and Morphine I was thinking my cycling plans for the year were done. My lower back was still painful and weak and the injury felt like a long term problem to be solved. But with the evolution of last days and the forecast done by the doctors and physiotherapist last Saturday in the hospital, things are looking a bit better. I won't have the same speed as last year in the most important races and I will even miss some of them, but at least I will be able to participate in some...

Check after the jump my road to recovery.
Depois de quatro dias no hospital e algumas semanas no Valium e Morfina, eu estava convencido de que meus planos de ciclismo para o ano estavam acabados. Minhas costas ainda estavam muito doloridas e fraca e o dano parecia um problema a ser resolvido a longo prazo. Mas o diagnóstico dos médicos e o prognóstico do fisioterapeuta do hospital me deu novas esperanças. Eu não vou ter a mesma velocidade que ano passado mas vou poder participar das corridas mais importantes.

Dá uma olhada no resto do texto para ver como vai ser.



WANT TO BE BACK TO RIDING WITH THE TEAM AGAIN!

So, first of all what I need to do get out of the drugs to get a "real" assessment of in how much pain I am at the moment. Taking 10 mg of morphine twice a day, 4 g (not mg) of paracetamol and 2.4 grams of ibuprofen covers the pain and I don't know how much I will be able to cope with the next phase of the treatment: physio. If the pain is too strong that I can't start doing the exercises to stabilize the back, the training for cycling will have to wait longer.

Once out of the painkillers I should start the physio treatment and that will take 5 weeks before I could even start any exercise, including sitting on a bike.  The main challenge now is to get a good physiotherapist: find one that can speed up the treatment towards sports and also has good references. There are a lot of them around but a good one is gold. And they are all fully booked!

If I manage to get that working as of next week and everything goes well with the physio, this will take me to April 20th. Where I can start training in the gym and on the bike. The forecast from the doctors and physio from the hospital was that it would took me other 6 weeks to be fully recovered. Meaning to be at the same level I was before the accident. Meaning also I missed 8 weeks of training and that is a lot! Even if I manage to do all, the performance will be impacted. I won't have the same speed I had last year for sure. It will be back to just survive the rides...



Bem, primeiro de tudo o que eu preciso fazer é parar com os analgésicos para ter uma impressão real da dor. Tomar 10 mg de morfina duas vezes por dia, 4 gramas (não miligramas) de paracetamol e 2.4 gramas de ibruprofen só mascara a dor. E também não sei o quanto eu posso começar a acompanhar o tratamento de fisioterapia. Se a dor for muito forte eu não posso começar a fazer os exercícios para estabilizar as costas e começar a treinar outra vez.

Uma vez fora das drogas eu começo o tratamento de fisioterapia e isso vai levar 5 semanas antes de eu começar qualquer exercício, incluindo sentar na bicicleta. O maior desafio agora é encontrar um bom fisioterapeuta. Um que possa acelerar minha recuperação e que também tenha boas referências. Há muitos ao redor, mas os bons são poucos e as agendas estão cheias...

Se eu conseguir fazer isso funcionar a partir da semana seguinte e tudo começa a correr bem, eu chego no dia 20 de abril quando começo a treino físico na bicicleta ou ginásio. A previsão do físio é que leve 5 a 6 semanas para se recuperar. Se recuperar querendo dizer voltar ao mesmo nível que estava antes do acidente. Também significa que perdi 8 semanas de treino do ano. O que é muito! E ainda se consigo fazer tudo isso, a performance vai ser ruim. Estou de volta a mesma condição de só sobreviver às corridas...
ONLY 3 WEEKS TO TRAIN FOR KLIM CLASSIC = VERY TOUGH

RESULT - Well, the immediate result is that I will miss at least one of the team rides in Arnhem. And the first week of exercise will be very close to the next one in Zuid Limburg. The one I like the most. Also, it will be only 3 weeks out of the Klim Classic in Belgium on May 9th, one of the toughest race of the year and 5 to be ready for Limburgse Mooiste race. Very tough! So, I might need to skip some of those... I need to think very hard what I'm going to do and all of that will depend how the pain will develop...

 There is another cycling event that I want to participate. But this I will keep a secret until I can confirm my participation. 
RESULTADO - Bem, o resultado imediato é que eu vou perder a segunda volta de treino do time do trabalho, em Arnhem. Também quando recomeçar os exercícios a segunda volta vai estar muito perto no sul da Holanda. Também só vou ter 3 semanas para a corrida Klim Classic na Bélgica e só 5 para o Limburgse Mooiste que para mim é a melhor do ano. Muito duro. Mas eu acho que preciso pensar sério em escapar algumas delas. E tudo vai depender de como a dor vai desenvolver...

Há outro evento que estou dependendo disso tudo para participar. Mas esse eu vou manter segredo até saber se posso realmente participar.

No comments:

Post a Comment